Everyone in my family is fond of sea food. But we usually don’t cook these at home (except fish and prawns). So one fine day my dad and sis went to buy fish and instead bought fresh and real good crab for me to cook! 😨 It was my first time to cook crab and I had no idea what to do with it. They wanted to have it the Indian way. I searched on net, asked some friends but nothing satisfied me. So I came up with my own recipe i.e. of using everything I have at home and the ingredients complimenting each other without too much of work;). After I was done, it looked great but I was kinda nervous about the taste. And guess what? It was yummy :). The flavors complimented each other very well. Never thought of posting this random recipe but my sister asked me to do so while licking the crab’s claw. 😝
500g crab, prepped
4 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
3 tsp coriander seeds
5-6 whole black pepper
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 Bay leaves
1 dry red chilli
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp sugar
Juice of 1 /2 lemon
1 tomato, pureed
2 onion, sliced
10-12 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp ginger, chopped
1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
Salt, to taste
1. Heat oil in a kadhai, add all the whole spices to release their flavors.
2. Throw in sugar, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Gives a nice colour if you add it now. (tip by mom)
3. Fry onion slices, chopped garlic and ginger till slightly browned.
4. Mix tomato puree and keep cooking till the oil floats on top.
5. Add salt, cumin and coriander powder and 3/4 cup water. Let the water boil.
6. Put crab and stir well. Cover for 10 mins or till the crab is cooked(on medium heat). Squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon. Stir.
7. Top with some ghee or butter, garnish with coriander.
Click a picture and enjoy with steamed rice. 🙂